Kiddo likes pesto. Or she used to… she wasn’t the biggest fan of this recipe, but I thought it was decent. Perhaps a little too lemony, so I have altered the recipe a bit.
Presto Pesto! Ingredients
- 2 cups packed, fresh basil (remove large stems)
- 3 TBS pine nuts or walnuts (walnuts are MUCH cheaper)
- 3 large cloves of garlic (peeled- seriously, why must this be stipulated???)
- 1 TBS lemon juice (roughly what you will get from half a medium lemon)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (add more to your own taste)
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 TBS water (to make the pesto into a sauce)
Presto Pesto! Directions
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT oil and water to a food processor. Combine until a loose paste (with no large chunks of garlic or nuts remain).
- Drizzle the olive oil into the mixture, a little at a time, ideally while the food processor is running. Scrape the sides of the food processor after each oil addition is well blended.
- Add in one TBS of water at a time, to thin the pesto paste into a sauce. Add as much or as little water as you’d like to create the desired consistency.
- Now, taste the pesto and add more ingredients (garlic, salt, lemon, nuts…) according to your preference.
- Put the pesto on pasta, “zoodles,” bread, pizza… and enjoy!