Earlier in the summer Kiddo’s oldest cousin, Bean, told me that she wanted to try to make yeast bread. So, we tried. It was a GREAT first attempt, and I always love hanging with Bean. Kiddo was more interested in playing with Bean’s dog, so she didn’t help much.
We decided to make the recipe again when Kiddo was ready to participate (and we had enough yeast). The bread is delicious, easy to make, and the recipe is quite forgiving. The first time Bean and I made the bread we were short about 1/4 TBS yeast, and used a mixture of bread and all purpose flour. When Kiddo and I made it we may not have proofed the yeast long enough and we definitely spilled a lot of the flour on the counter when making the dough. No matter. All loaves were fantastic.
Please make this bread. You won’t regret it.
French Bread Ingredients
- 2 TBS yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 TBS sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
French Bread Directions
Prep: 60 min (including rise time) Bake: 18 min
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in ½ a cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar. Let proof for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour then mix together. Add the yeast mixture to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 3 1/2 cups of flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Watch for it to start pulling away from the bowl to know it’s ready. Once all of the flour is added, let the dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 3 pieces. On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 9×12 rectangle (or your best approximation there-of. Our dough was not the correct size nor shape). Roll it up like a jelly roll. Shape into a french bread loaf and smooth out edges.
- Place the dough on a greased baking pan, seam side down. Using a knife, make several diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch thick in bread. Brush with the beaten egg.
- Let dough rise uncovered for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake at 375 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Eat the aromatic, delicious, warm bread with butter, ASAP.