This was the first time that Kiddo frosted a cake with me, and she liked that we put the cake together “like a sandwich.” She was a fabulous froster! When we make the cake again, I will put more frosting between the layers. The cake isn’t dry, but it needs more frosting than we provided.
It took about 40 minutes to bake, so I recommend that you start early enough in the day to be able to cool and frost in one day. We had to frost the next day, and Kiddo was sad to go to bed without getting to taste her cake.
Black Magic Cake Ingredients
- 1 and 3/4 cups AP flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (we used Hershey’s)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee*
- 1 cup buttermilk**
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
* I don’t drink coffee, so I found the decaf coffee version of tea bags and made my coffee that way. I was trying to find decaf instant, but apparently that doesn’t exist… at least not at my supermarket
*Don’t worry about buying buttermilk for this. If you don’t have any other use for buttermilk, you can make it. Just add one tablespoon of vinegar (or lemon juice) to the milk of your choice– we used almond milk– and allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes before you add the milk to the recipe.
Black Magic Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9×13 inch pan. Sunglasses are optional. Also, sometimes I “flour” with cocoa for chocolate cake, but I was planning to frost this one so I didn’t.
- If you are making you own butter milk, prepare it now. In large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat mixture for 2 minutes on medium speed. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake cake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes (ours took about 35 minutes), or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cakes from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. Decorate as desired!