Kiddo an I have been busy in the kitchen, and I’ve been buys with life (you know, taking care of my family, working, taking a class…), so I haven’t been posting. But my class is finally over, so maybe I will get back to more frequent posts (I wrote this almost 2 months ago… it’s time to post!).
A good friend of ours had a baby on April 1st. Prior to his birth, we made a few meals for our friends. This is one of them.
Kiddo loves to help, so she was super excited to make a meal for her friends when I explained why we were doing it. When it came time to pack up the food, she was adamant that we include some goldfish crackers for her little buddy, the big-brother-to-be. 😍
I don’t really follow a recipe for lasagna, but here goes:
- 1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- fresh (or sautéed) spinach
- diced onion
- minced garlic
- basil (we are growing some, so Kiddo got to pick some fresh leaves)
- oregano (we are also growing our own)
- bay leaves
- 15 oz. cottage cheese (or ricotta if you like the way it tastes… I don’t)
- lots of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Brown the turkey in olive oil, with the onion and garlic. Add basil, oregano, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Add the sauce and cook until all ingredients are well incorporated. I don’t measure, so just add enough spices until it tastes good (LOL).
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Mix the cottage cheese with 1 cup of mozzarella, and the beaten egg.
- Make the lasagna: pour some sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Then place noodles across the bottom (they will expand so they don’t have to be flush), cover with sauce, and top with cottage cheese mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella. continue layering.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered. Uncover and cook for 15-20 more minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!