So, I used to be vegan. About 10 years ago I read this article about Mark Bittman’s VB6 diet and decided to give it a try. After a few weeks I stopped wanting meat for dinner. I was vegan for a little over a year. I’m trying VB6 again. Hence the cookie recipe. The cookies were really goo. Thanks to Flavor Smasher for the link to the recipe!
Kiddo enjoyed helping to make and eat these cookies. She was really excited to try the eggless dough. 🙂
I was pleased with these cookies, but I did make some changes to the original recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed (I used slightly more)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 8 oz vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- I a large bowl, whisk both sugars, salt, and oil to combine. Kiddo liked this part. I reduced the brown sugar (from ¾ of a cup) based on reviews. I think the the cookies would be far too sweet with more, I also put in a bit less than a ½ cup of oil, and the cookies were still a bit greasy when cooked).
- Whisk in milk and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Kiddo is an expert at whisking so she did most of the mixing for this recipe.
- Sift the flour and baking soda into the mixture and fold with a spatula to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fold the chips into the dough, and then placed (covered) bowl in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookies sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop chilled dough into balls and cook for 12 minutes (my cookies were about 1.5 in in circumference before baking- they spread quite a bit so leave a lot of space between each), or longer as needed.
- Enjoy! The cookies were chewy and delicious and we will make them again.